Happy 2018 and welcome back to school! Aspen is off to a great start! Please take a quick look at the upcoming events for the month:
– MAP testing begins Friday, January 12. You can help your child do their best by making sure they get a good night’s sleep the night before the test and a good breakfast in the morning.
– NO SCHOOL on Monday, January 15 in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. Enjoy your day off!
– Kindergarten and 1st grade students will take the AIMSWeb benchmark assessment and many other students will be taking ACCESS testing during the month of January.
– Aspen’s band is teaming up with Elementary South’s band and will be performing a concert on Wednesday, January 17. On Thursday, January 18, our orchestra students will be performing along with Elementary South’s orchestra students for a concert. Both concerts begin at 7:00 pm and will be held in Aspen’s gym. Don’t miss these great events!
– January 17 also marks the middle of the second semester. Mid term reports will go home on Tuesday, January 30.
– Mr. Fredricksen will be celebrating with students that have July birthdays at the birthday breakfast on Friday, January 19.
– Our second grade classes will have a special guest educator on Monday, January 22. Maggie, the certified reading assistant dog, is coming with her owner who will read aloud to the class, and teach the class about dog safety.
– There will be an early release day on Thursday, January 25. Students will be dismissed at 11:25, after they have had their lunch.
– The Spelling Bee will also take place on Thursday, January 25. Our 4th & 5th grade expert spellers will be competing that morning in the multi-purpose room.
– Students with birthdays in January will celebrate with Mr. Fredricksen on Friday, January 26 at the birthday breakfast.
– Fireman Tony will be at Aspen on Tuesday, January 30 demonstrating the Hazard House to our 3rd grade classes.
– At 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 30, Aspen will hold an incoming Kindergarten Parent Information Meeting at Aspen School at 7:00 p.m. All new incoming kindergarten parents are invited to attend.
Did you know that you can watch Aspen’s daily broadcast, put on by our own students, by going to the Aspen website (as1.hawthorn73.org) and clicking on the Aspen Broadcast link? Our students do a great job bringing the entire school the news for the day. Check it out!