NAFME (National Association for Music Education) has selected a lesson plan submitted by Aspen’s very own Kathleen Manchester to be included in a book they are publishing this summer. The lesson’s focus is on teaching a piece by the composer Mahler. Mrs. Manchester teaches general education music at Aspen School and previously received a National Board […]
About Margaret Van Duch
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud Margaret Van Duch contributed a whooping 47 entries.
Entries by Margaret Van Duch
Check out the annual District 73 Art Show at the Aspen Drive Library. Close to 400 student artists displayed unique forms of art during the art show. Click here to see the many artists and their artwork. Artwork is on display through Friday, April 7. The art show represents all the schools strongest pieces including drawings, paintings, collages, paper sculptures, Papier-mâché […]
Author Brian Gryn shared his love of reading and writing with Aspen children recently when he read the book he penned, The Magic Zoo. “It’s great having authors speak to students. Students make connections between an author’s book and it encourages reading and writing with students,” said school librarian Beth Groesbeck.
The Jump Rope for Heart fundraising programs at Aspen’s brought in over $11,200 for the American Heart Association. The top three fundraisers from Aspen School were fifth grader Sara Budziak and kindergarteners Lillian Stenzel and Henry Rabbitt. Jump Rope For Heart is a national fundraising event sponsored by the American Heart Association and the American […]
Illinois’ New Physical Fitness Assessment Letter
Aspen staff and parents donated about 100 gifts to local families who had fallen on hard times during the holiday season. Families were given gifts of need like pajamas and coats and gifts of want like toy dinosaurs, monster trucks and art sets. Parents and staff also stock food cupboards to feed children during the day […]
The Board of Education will hold a special Board meeting on Monday, December 5 to receive updated information about the proposed Educational Facilities Master Plan (EFMP). The Core Team has analyzed data and feedback received from the community and will present two options culminating with a recommendation of one concept to the School Board. Following […]
The cafeteria has become a much calmer place for Aspen Elementary School kindergartners now that fifth graders are assisting them. With the Hawthorn district moving into full day kindergarten, helping kindergarteners through their lunch period has become a focus at Aspen. “Our lunchroom supervisors noticed that there were more hands in the air than adults to […]
Aspen Principal Bill Fredricksen reads his favorite stories to children during a principal reading event at the Aspen Library.
Congratulations to Aspen School for making it onto the top 10 schools list during Attendance Week for having one of the highest student attendance records in Lake County. Aspen competed against 145 schools in Lake County for the honor. Please click here to see Lake County Facebook posts for area schools.
- Raising Resilient ChildrenJanuary 5, 2016 - 9:40 am
- Hawthorn’s 2016 Summer Band and Orchestra CampFebruary 9, 2016 - 7:56 am
- Volunteers Needed for PTO BookfairFebruary 10, 2016 - 7:55 am
- Hawthorn Parent Education: Coding @ HomeFebruary 11, 2016 - 10:31 am
- Aspen Travels the World Family EventFebruary 11, 2016 - 2:31 pm
- Aspen Updates February 12, 2016February 11, 2016 - 3:41 pm
- Choice Time Volunteer TrainingFebruary 18, 2016 - 3:48 pm
- Aspen Updates February 19, 2016February 18, 2016 - 3:50 pm
- Musical HonorMarch 22, 2017 - 11:07 am
- Early Voting Begins this Week for the April 4 ElectionMarch 22, 2017 - 9:36 am
- 6th Grade Parent OrientationMarch 20, 2017 - 7:59 am
- Signs of Suicide & Depression AwarenessMarch 20, 2017 - 7:06 am
- Dual Language Expands to Middle SchoolsMarch 19, 2017 - 1:32 pm
- Education Foundation LaunchedMarch 19, 2017 - 1:22 pm
- Register Now for D73 Summer ClassesMarch 19, 2017 - 12:38 pm
- Aspen Art FairMarch 18, 2017 - 1:18 pm