As part of our school wide goal for continued excellence in reading achievement, the Aspen Reading Team developed a brand new school wide program to enhance a love for reading. This year’s program, entitled “BUILDING Life Long Readers,” took students on a reading journey as they constructed and built visual masterpieces using Legos. The year […]
About Margaret Van Duch
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud Margaret Van Duch contributed a whooping 52 entries.
Entries by Margaret Van Duch
Twelve students received the David Yomtoob Most Improved Student Award during a Hawthorn District 73 Board of Education meeting. Each year former Hawthorn superintendent Youssef Yomtoob, and his wife, Parichehr, recognize students whose essays were selected for expressing how they improved over a period of time in such areas as academics, social skills, and behavior. […]
Aspen fifth graders reached out to starving children in other parts of the world by helping pack food for them as part of a community service project through the Feed My Starving Children site in Libertyville. The 103 fifth graders help feed about 160 children for a year.
Aspen School third graders celebrated Earth Day by learning about waste water filtration systems and completing an exciting STEM challenge. Students were then challenged to see if they could filter and clean the “sewage water” that the teachers had created. They were given limited supplies and had to work collaboratively as groups to create a […]
Please read attached notification.
NAFME (National Association for Music Education) has selected a lesson plan submitted by Aspen’s very own Kathleen Manchester to be included in a book they are publishing this summer. The lesson’s focus is on teaching a piece by the composer Mahler. Mrs. Manchester teaches general education music at Aspen School and previously received a National Board […]
Check out the annual District 73 Art Show at the Aspen Drive Library. Close to 400 student artists displayed unique forms of art during the art show. Click here to see the many artists and their artwork. Artwork is on display through Friday, April 7. The art show represents all the schools strongest pieces including drawings, paintings, collages, paper sculptures, Papier-mâché […]
Author Brian Gryn shared his love of reading and writing with Aspen children recently when he read the book he penned, The Magic Zoo. “It’s great having authors speak to students. Students make connections between an author’s book and it encourages reading and writing with students,” said school librarian Beth Groesbeck.
The Jump Rope for Heart fundraising programs at Aspen’s brought in over $11,200 for the American Heart Association. The top three fundraisers from Aspen School were fifth grader Sara Budziak and kindergarteners Lillian Stenzel and Henry Rabbitt. Jump Rope For Heart is a national fundraising event sponsored by the American Heart Association and the American […]
Illinois’ New Physical Fitness Assessment Letter
- Spring Band ConcertMay 26, 2016 - 9:12 am
- Orchestra/Band Date ChangeSeptember 7, 2016 - 3:45 pm
- Volunteer for PTO Classroom PartiesSeptember 8, 2016 - 7:33 am
- Comité de Padres Bilingües/ Bilingual Parent Advisory...September 12, 2016 - 2:57 pm
- Weekend Experience for Academically TalentedSeptember 14, 2016 - 7:54 pm
- Aspen Updates September 16, 2016September 16, 2016 - 7:37 am
- Hawthorn Department of Special ServicesSeptember 20, 2016 - 8:02 am
- Women in LeadershipSeptember 21, 2016 - 6:00 pm
- Aspen Updates February 23, 2108February 22, 2018 - 3:27 pm
- Information Session On ParentingFebruary 22, 2018 - 7:00 am
- We Want Your Advice about District 73’s FutureFebruary 15, 2018 - 4:35 pm
- A Message Regarding Events in FloridaFebruary 15, 2018 - 4:18 pm
- Volunteers Needed for BookFairFebruary 14, 2018 - 7:49 am
- ASPEN FAMILY BINGO NIGHTFebruary 12, 2018 - 7:51 am
- Aspen Updates February 9, 2018February 8, 2018 - 3:21 pm
- Thanks for Making Family University a Success!February 8, 2018 - 2:27 pm