Aspen School has an enrollment of 500 students in our K-5 program.
Aspen was originally founded as Hawthorn Option School in 1999. The school continued to be called Hawthorn Option School until the 2004-2005 school year, when Hawthorn District 73 opened a new building and moved the school to its current location at 500 Aspen Drive. Since the beginning of the 2004-2005 school year we have been known as Aspen School.
On September 30, 2005, renowned psychiatrist Dr. William Glasser visited Aspen School for a special celebration. At this celebration Aspen was certified as a Glasser Institute Quality School. To achieve this recognition, Aspen School had to meet specific criteria established by the Glasser Institute. The criteria included building relationships based on trust and respect, providing useful educational experiences for all students, all students produce Quality Work, students and staff are taught Choice Theory, students do better on state proficiency tests and parents, students and staff view the school as a joyful place.
Though we are uniquely distinguished as a Glasser Certified Quality School, students at Aspen work toward mastering the same curricular objectives as all other Hawthorn District 73 Schools. All Hawthorn schools follow the Hawthorn Curriculum, which incorporates the Illinois Learning Standards in units designed using the Understanding by Design framework.
Aspen receives support from two separate parent groups. The first group is the Hawthorn District 73 Parent Teacher Organization (PTO). Each year the PTO works with the school and community to help enrich educational experiences for students. The organization of fundraisers helps to support the purchase of enrichment materials and resources for all students at Aspen. Some resources made available through PTO funds include Geography Bee, Social Skills “Superflex” materials, classroom magazine subscriptions, assemblies and additional books for the Aspen School Library.
In addition to the PTO, the Aspen Family Partnership Council supports Aspen School. The mission of the Aspen Family Partnership Council (AFPC) is to strengthen our community, bring families together and enhance relationships between students, families, teachers and staff. AFPC organizes and facilitates many activities to strengthen the community. Some of these activities include family nights, to Parent University, choice time recess activities, library and teacher parent helpers.
Staff at Aspen school are committed to the Hawthorn District 73 mission statement, “Inspire all students to embrace learning in an ever changing world.” As a staff, information regarding student learning is collected and reviewed on a regular basis to ensure all students are growing. Information gathered helps establish School Improvement (SIP) goals on a yearly basis.
Aspen is a school where students, staff, parents and community members work together to build trusting relationships and make the school a joyful place. We are proud of the work that has been done in the past to create a climate where students feel safe and comfortable and every child produces quality work. We look forward to a future where we continue to excel on state proficiency test and work as a united community to provide meaningful learning opportunities for all children.
Thank you for visiting the Aspen School web site. Should you have questions regarding Aspen School, please do not hesitate to contact the school by phone at 847-990-4300 or through email at email@example.com.
Wishing you the best,
Bill Fredricksen Principal
- Thanks For a Great Bingo Night!May 5, 2016 - 10:27 am
- Pest Control LetterJuly 8, 2016 - 2:42 pm
- Residency Verification EventJuly 29, 2016 - 11:35 am
- Missed the Residency Event?August 10, 2016 - 5:43 pm
- Art Adventure Coordinator Needed!August 17, 2016 - 7:42 am
- Congratulations Master Degree RecipientsAugust 22, 2016 - 12:36 pm
- Sunshine in the RainAugust 24, 2016 - 11:23 am
- Aspen Family Night this Friday, August 26thAugust 24, 2016 - 2:11 pm
- Student Council Sponsors the Great Bedtime Story Pajama...November 20, 2017 - 2:19 pm
- Save the Dates for the 2018 Hawthorn Enrichment Institu...November 16, 2017 - 10:48 am
- Hawthorn Observes American Education WeekNovember 15, 2017 - 9:44 am
- How to Help Your Child Choose a Good Fit BookNovember 15, 2017 - 9:04 am
- Donations Needed for Fall Conferences Staff DinnerNovember 13, 2017 - 11:17 am
- Join us For American Education WeekNovember 9, 2017 - 2:34 pm
- Cards for HeroesNovember 9, 2017 - 2:27 pm
- Aspen Updates November 10, 2017November 9, 2017 - 2:09 pm